Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A little Poem

Lately I have been reading out of my Heart Throbs book of poems. This is one of my favorites. Everything stayed the same except the last line. Here it goes... This is for Mothers.
Suz

Mother's Boys

Yes, I know there are stains on my carpet,
The traces of small muddy boots;
And I see your fair tapestry glowing,
All spotless with flowers and fruits.

And I know that my walls are disfigured
with prints of small fingers and hands;
and that your own household most truly
in immaculate purity stands.

And I know that my parlor is littered
with many odd treasures and toys,
While your own is in daintiest order,
unharmed by the presence of boys.

And I know that my room is invaded
Quite boldly all hours of the day;
While you sit in yours unmolested
And dream the soft quiet away.

Yes, I know there are four little bedsides
Where I must stand watchful each night,
While you may go out in your carriage,
and flash in your dresses so bright.

Now, I think I'm a neat little woman;
and I like my house orderly, too.
And I'm fond of all dainty belongings,
Yet I would not change places with you.

No! Keep your fair home with it's order,
Its freedom from bother and noise;
And keep your own fanciful leisure,
But give me my (girl) and my three splendid boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment